Thursday, May 6, 2010

Happy Nurses Day

I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I used to envy those kids who were passionate about a profession and confident they would become an airline pilot and then they actually did. {my friend Courtney comes to mind!}

I entertained multiple job fantasies throughout childhood. There were dreams of becoming a landscape architect, a pilot, a doctor, an Olympic gymnast, a teacher, even a florist. When I started at Troy my freshman year, it was no surprise that I did not declare a major. Only four quarters later, when I ran out of general classes, and the counselor told me I could not come back to them anymore, did I chose a major. The Biology Program. I still had no clue, but knew I really liked science, especially biology. The possibility of medical school loomed in the back of my mind. Two and a half years later, I graduated. Eight days later, I got married. My first job after graduating was as a Pharmacy Technician at a brand new Target in Daphne, Alabama. Circumstances brought us back to Troy within a few months. Steven got his scholarship back and was going to finish his degree. I got my old job back, one I'd had part time during college, working as a teller at Southtrust Bank.

Then I got the bright idea to go back to school. I've often told Steven that if a university would pay me to go to school, I would be a professional student. I've always loved school, learning, reading, even studying. But since I couldn't find that university, I took out loans and entered nursing school. It would take me only two and a half years.

I reasoned that I loved science, biology, medicine even. I liked the idea of helping people and caring for them. I also knew the flexibility of the field, mainly that I could get a job anywhere we were. I tried not to dwell on the time and money that would have been spared had I "reasoned" this stuff sooner and chosen nursing as my major instead of biology. And we were going to be in Troy for another couple of years anyway.

And here I am, seven years later. I have been employed a total of 10 months as a nurse. I have made less as a nurse than it cost me to legally become one. If fact, I'm still paying for it:). But my license is still current. And after I'm mostly done raising these precious babies of ours, I plan to work as a nurse again. I'm grateful to be here, at home with my kids, for this time. But I do look forward to caring for patients again. Patients that aren't my own flesh and blood:). Happy Nurses Day to all you wonderful nurses out there! I'm proud to be counted among you!

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln


3 comments:

Kristin said...

I know... Don't pass out. It's me. And I love you. And this post...

Happy Mother's Day, Friend! I miss you.

Katie said...

This is a great post. I'll bet you are (and will be again) a wonderful nurse. I'm willing to bet though, that mothering is your best gig. I'm certain of it. Happy Mother's Day to you.

Anonymous said...

speaking of being a teller at southtrust bank...do you remember the time I came through the drive up teller to withdraw like twenty dollars..and you said, "shana. you only have thirty-five cents in here." BAHAHAHAHAHA. I still remember that day and laugh! oh the days of being a silly college student...