Thursday, July 7, 2011

I can't seem to keep up

Well, it was definitely later rather than sooner...

We got to go to my nephew's 5th birthday party last week. Grady said, "This is the best birthday party ever!"

We had some friends over for dinner complete with a water balloon fight. In case you were not aware, there is an inverse proportion in the amount of time spent filling up the balloons to the amount of time it takes to use them all. Thirty minutes prep time. Three minutes of fight time. Still fun.



Friday, Grady woke up from his nap not feeling well. We decided to go swimming anyway. He wanted to stay inside and lay on the couch. At this point, we should have noticed the red flag. But it was hot. And we wanted to get in the pool. Grady threw up all over our friend's couch and rug.

Mom got here just in time for dinner and one more projectile vomit from Grady. I told her that's how we like to welcome our weekend guests.

Saturday we took Elle and Grady to see Cars 2 while Mom stayed with Reese. They loved it!

Sunday we attempted swimming again and had a fun time with no vomiting. Mom and I did a little shopping that afternoon and she took us to dinner that evening at Panera Bread.

Monday, we played outside in the sprinklers and with water guns and more water balloons. We had a fun visit from my aunt, uncle, cousin and grandma. Then we went over to my brother's house for smoked ribs, corn risotto, steamed asparagus, Sister Schubert rolls, apple pie and ice cream. But I have to say, the ribs were the star of the show. Delicious!

Mom had to leave Tuesday, but not before breakfast at IHOP and a trip to Target. It's hard to go out to eat a lot with little kids. People who don't have to do it a lot forget. So I made mom sit with Grady. He busted a creamer that splattered all over himself, our booth and the booth behind them. Then he squirted his yogurt tube all over himself and the booth. We ran out of napkins.

Yesterday was my birthday. My husband and kids gave me a card, some jelly beans, and a Keurig. Such a sweet family. I have been reading The Mission of Motherhood and have been so convicted and encouraged at the same time. I am so thankful for my family and that I have been able to stay home and raise our children. But some days, I'm resentful and I don't want to do anything else for anybody and I want it to be quiet for 5 seconds and I'd like to not have to referee a fight or clean up another mess. But they are kids and parenting is hard, hard work. It takes patience, more patience than I have in my own strength.

This quote from the book is my new prayer for this season:
"Instead of seeing fusses and messes as irritations in my day, for instance, I am more likely to see them as opportunities to train my children to be peacemakers and to learn to be responsible for their own messes. Instead of resenting the interruptions in my schedule, I am more likely to accept them as divine appointments. More and more, I have learned to see my children through the eyes of God and to accept the stages of growth through which he has designed them to grow."
It is a stage of growth. And it's short. But the investments I'm making now with my time and energy have the potential to influence eternity. I pray they will.

2 comments:

Amy said...

sounds like fun summer days!!! I love that book and should probably re-read it.

Donna said...

I just started Mission to Motherhood this past weekend- it's very encouraging. You are right about water balloons- it's a LOT of prep work for a minute of play!