Thursday, August 2, 2012

If you're going to San Francisco...

Make sure you clean out your rental car well.

We got in to San Francisco late that afternoon and went straight to the airport to turn in the sweet mustang. There's something about the airport that always makes you feel anxious and rushed. Mom dropped us off at arrivals and we hurriedly got our suitcases and bags out. She would go turn the car in and then meet us at the hotel shuttle stop. She was back with us in record time and we rode the shuttle in to downtown, to our hotel near Fisherman's Wharf. As we settled in the hotel room, I realized I couldn't find the redwood earrings I'd just bought anywhere. Mom had wrapped several pairs in napkins and I remembered laying mine on the floorboard in the front seat. And that's where they still were. I was a little bit heart-broken. We called the rental center, but got a message that they were closed for the day. The next day we got in touch, but of course, the car had been cleaned and "no earrings in a napkin" had been found.

I made my peace with the loss and we walked down to Fisherman's Wharf to sight see and find some place for dinner. We ended up eating at a little place called Chowder's on Pier 39 and I had some very rubbery calamari. I'm sure the chowder was delicious. The calamari was not. But Elle and I rode the double carousel, we watched the sea lions, admired Alcatraz and just enjoyed the sights. It did get very chilly as the night wore on and we walked briskly back to the hotel for a good night's sleep!





That's a WWII liberty ship in the background next to a WWII submarine!






Elle is a lefty!



No comments: