Grady is having outpatient surgery on Tuesday morning. I have hesitated to even share because of so many mixed emotions. And because it is of a sensitive nature, I will refer in code so as not to offend those of you who can't take using correct anatomical terms without blushing and just in case blogger thinks I am trying to post something crude in nature. He basically has to get re-circumcised. The skin adhered closer than where it should. I have felt guilty and embarrassed that it is all my fault ("I can't even take care of my son's pp. I knew I should have had just girls!"). I have felt angry and wanted to blame the pediatrician who did not examine him closely at 2, 4, or 6 months. Only when I changed doctors at 9 months did I learn there was even remotely a concern. I've also thought a little of the fault could rest with the OB (who I think the greatest of and used to work for) who did the original circumcision. Maybe he was too cautious and didn't quite trim away what he should? We had an appointment with a urologist at Children's Hospital a couple weeks ago and he scheduled us for surgery. I'm finally at the place where I realize that this was in the Lord's plan for Grady and the "what if's" and "if only's" and blaming don't help anything. I also have found out that this is somewhat common--there are four other procedures on Tuesday morning besides Grady--which makes me feel a little better too. The scary thing is that he will be intubated and under general anesthesia. They say that he has more risk of something happening in a car than with this. But even so, all the fears creep in. Steven is taking the day off to stay with Elle and to be here when we get home. The whole procedure should take between 20-30 minutes but I'm sure we will be there for at least half a day. Please pray for us, for my heart and mind, and for a quick recovery. Thanks friends.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
My Sweet Boy
Grady is having outpatient surgery on Tuesday morning. I have hesitated to even share because of so many mixed emotions. And because it is of a sensitive nature, I will refer in code so as not to offend those of you who can't take using correct anatomical terms without blushing and just in case blogger thinks I am trying to post something crude in nature. He basically has to get re-circumcised. The skin adhered closer than where it should. I have felt guilty and embarrassed that it is all my fault ("I can't even take care of my son's pp. I knew I should have had just girls!"). I have felt angry and wanted to blame the pediatrician who did not examine him closely at 2, 4, or 6 months. Only when I changed doctors at 9 months did I learn there was even remotely a concern. I've also thought a little of the fault could rest with the OB (who I think the greatest of and used to work for) who did the original circumcision. Maybe he was too cautious and didn't quite trim away what he should? We had an appointment with a urologist at Children's Hospital a couple weeks ago and he scheduled us for surgery. I'm finally at the place where I realize that this was in the Lord's plan for Grady and the "what if's" and "if only's" and blaming don't help anything. I also have found out that this is somewhat common--there are four other procedures on Tuesday morning besides Grady--which makes me feel a little better too. The scary thing is that he will be intubated and under general anesthesia. They say that he has more risk of something happening in a car than with this. But even so, all the fears creep in. Steven is taking the day off to stay with Elle and to be here when we get home. The whole procedure should take between 20-30 minutes but I'm sure we will be there for at least half a day. Please pray for us, for my heart and mind, and for a quick recovery. Thanks friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hey Lindsay,
I will definitely be praying for you. My pediatrician had to repeatedly pull back things in that area so that it wasn't cutting off circulation- AND I thought I was doing it, already, but I wasn't. That outdoor plumbing is a real booger. Aren't you thankful you can get it taken care of now vs. when he is older? He is in God's hands and we will pray for you all and the doctors. :-)
Linds, do you want to bring Elle here so that Steven can go with you? I would love to keep her and she can play with the boys. It doesn't matter how early you need to drop her off. Just call me. I will be praying.
Linds - Wilson has had 3 surgeries so far in his less than 2 year life span where he has had to be put under general anesthesia. It is scary, every time, but you and I both know who is in control - lift your fears up to Him. The staff at Children's is great - you're in the best hands! I'll be praying for you both!
Kellie
we will be praying for your little angel man. my nephew had the same problem, only i don't think his adhered. i think his is just cosmetic and they haven't had anything else done. i guess he just kind of has a mock turtleneck for lack of a better term lol!! he will be just fine. we'll be praying for mama, too!!
praying for ya'll. talk to you soon. love you!
girl don't you worry about a thing! the best part is that he won't remember it...you are going to suffer more than he will just from the emotions of watching your baby go through surgery. i have you on my prayer list for sure. love BS
Post a Comment