Sunday, October 24, 2010

Watch out for your knee caps

We were trying to put some allergy drops in Grady's eyes the other night and things weren't going very well. He was getting pretty upset and we were trying hard not to get upset. And then Elle says, "You can do it Grady. You're the bravest boy in the whole world." I wish I could say those encouraging words did the trick. It got worse before it got better, but I was so proud of her for trying to encourage him when he was obviously having a difficult time.

Grady has a tendency to climb, hang on, wrestle, and generally aggravate you when you try to sit still for a minute. As soon as I sit down on the couch and gently prop my feet up on the ottoman, some internal signal goes off in his brain and he charges. My legs become monkey bars for my little monkey. Last night, he sat on my legs and I said, "Grady you're about to break my knee caps?!" A few minutes later, we were discussing going to church in the morning to prep him for good behavior.

Steven said, "Grady, what are you going to do at church in the morning?"
Grady said, "Break everybody's knee caps!"

I can happily report that no knee caps were broken this morning.

We've been doing a lot of reading around here. We read by our self.


We read to our little brother.


And we try to get baby brother to sit still long enough to read to him.


We watched the Veggie Tales video Lord of the Beans tonight. Very hilarious.


Everyone took to their special "watch TV" spots and plugged the necessary orifices.

Reese is getting his molars so he has an excuse. I'm not sure what Grady's is for the finger in the nose. Guess he leaves one nostril open so he can breath.



And my mountain man husband worked on his beard while we watched. He goes through a phase once or twice a year where he grows out his hair and his beard. Then there is the summer phase where he takes clippers and shaves it all off with the lowest guard. His parents celebrated their 40-something anniversary today (45th I think?). When we make it that far, Lord willing, that will be 35 more beards and 35 more almost-shaved heads, or maybe he won't have any hair at all by that point. I think he's great, beard or no beard, hair or no hair, because he loves the Lord and is a great husband and friend and an amazing father to our kids. And he made fried green tomatoes tonight:).

3 comments:

Matt, Carrie, Lucy and Molly Allen said...

LOVE the knee cap story!

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud when I read that quote on FB too. just sayin'. you have such a cute family!

Katie said...

Ha!! I nearly peed my pants when I saw that pic of Grady with the mouth and nostril! Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!