Friday, May 6, 2011

Developing a Bookworm

We go to the library just about every week. And we check out a lot of books. As we've journeyed through kindergarten, It has been fun to see Elle learn how to use the library. She got her own card once we moved here, and that was thrilling for her. This week, she went in and found four books she wanted to check out. She asked me a few questions about where to find them, then searched on her own. I was so proud. 


Those who know me know I love to read. Reading opens up worlds of possibility, adventure and discovery we couldn't experience otherwise. I hope and pray that my kids will be life-long learners. I think reading is crucial to that. So you can imagine just how happy it makes me to find her now like this. On her own. With no prompting from me. Laughing out loud and re-telling me what she's read.


We went to Publix this morning to get a few things for dinner tonight. Our friends Matt, Carrie and their two girls are stopping on their way to spend a week with Mickey. We were walking down an aisle and Elle says, "Oh Mom, I know I'm not supposed to say this but I just can't help it. For Mother's Day, we..." I quickly stopped her and told her she could keep the secret. Even if it's one she made up!

1 comment:

Darby said...

I love sweet Elle and her book! So precious!! I also love that I see so many bird books in the miss... get it Salters! :) And let's see... the fish are all small so I think we're safe for dinner tomorrow night.. no need for pizza!